However, chances are that this excitement might quickly transform into disappointment, as you face issues such as low website traffic, minimal sales, and hosting issues. These problems (and many more) are extremely common for eCommerce-newcomers and are often the pitfalls that cause their great ideas to fail. The climb to eCommerce success is a treacherous expedition, but with these tips and tricks, you will reach the top in no time.
1. Impress visitors with a stunning homepageIn eCommerce, the first few seconds visitors experience on your website, are crucial. In these few seconds, you have to capture the user’s attention, convince them that your store is the best solution for their requirements, and have them wanting to explore your store further. Since first impressions are so important, having an impressive homepage is a no-brainer. Here are a few strategies for designing your homepage that will go a long way:
- Consistent colour combinations
- Keep your homepage optimized
- Keep it simple
3. Improve your product pagesYour website’s product page is one of the most crucial elements that you have to perfect. This is your sales pitch, the crucial moment your customer decides if he’s buying your product or not. One historically successful strategy is making it possible for shoppers to locate new products wherever they are in your store. One technique for achieving this, is using breadcrumbs showing where the current product fits within a range. Take a look at how Amazon utilizes breadcrumbs: To help your products show up first in search engines, ensure that your product’s titles are SEO-optimized. This is achieved by naming products using keywords. But keep in mind, prioritize naming the products so humans can easily read them, instead of filling titles with keywords for robots and algorithms. Your product descriptions should be interesting. Generic descriptions should be avoided at all costs, the description should be able to identify the customer’s problem, and address how it can solve it. Product images are an easy way to quickly boost client conversion, and often the deciding factor for customers, as it shows exactly what they’re getting. Make sure your images are good quality, and that they display your product from all angles to give your customers 100% certainty.
4. Fight cart abandonmentCart abandonment is eCommerce’s silent killer. Unknown to you, you might be bleeding up to 60% of your sales from people abandoning their carts, choosing not to check out. The cause of these high abandonment rates is usually an unnecessarily tedious checkout processes.
5. Give customers the option to leave reviews.Most customers will take a look at reviews from previous customers before deciding to purchase the product in question, thus you having reviews on display makes it easy for customers to see. Again, Amazon is an example of an excellent implementation of this, their product review section is easy to find and browse.
6. Optimize your site for mobileThis is a tip you cannot afford to overlook. The importance of mobile optimization cannot be overstated, as a large part of your customers will be browsing your website on their cellular devices. In fact, in modern times even more visitors will be on mobile than desktops. If your site is not optimized for mobile use, customers will get easily frustrated and disregard your website completely.
7. Add blogs to your websiteAttracting customers is but the starting goal for eCommerce, the important part is making sure they come back. Online stores that don’t generate new content (for example blogs), will lose most of their audience because they are unable to reel back previous customers. Top eCommerce stores create their own blogs where they pick apart the latest trends, answer customer queries and even make announcements about upcoming projects or news. These posts are then shared between customers, resulting in growth and the accumulation of a community. With the eCommerce market becoming more saturated as time goes on, it’s becoming almost crucial to have a blog growing your website if you plan on keeping up with your competitors. Adding blogs will also greatly improve your search engine rankings, as Google currently favors long-form and in-depth content.
8. Make information easy to findIf you plan on achieving eCommerce success, you should make sure your site’s layout functions well. This isn’t just about making product information easily visible, but also about delivery times, return policies, and related product recommendations. If this information is easily visible, customers will stick around longer; resulting in customer loyalty, improved conversion, and more sales.
9. Use videosVideos are an amazing way to show people what they are getting out of their products, as well as how to use them. Customers have limited attention spans, so woo-ing them with an interesting video might just be what you need to make them stick around. A promotional products company in the UK found that after adding product videos to their store, that conversions from those who watched the videos doubled. This resulted in a whopping 7.5% growth simply from adding product videos.
10. Analyze your weak pointsThe best way to learn, is from your own mistakes. Luckily, most major eCommerce platforms give you access to comprehensive, in-depth graphs and analytics about your performance. Taking a look at these will open up a whole new world, as you now know exactly what you’re doing wrong. Let’s learn from others’ mistakes too, here are a few common problems:
- High bounce rates